Compassion Corner

Monday, January 13, 2014

Fleeting Frost, Fleeting Time


            
           
       I had plenty of work to get done. There always seems to be plenty of work for a photographer to do that doesn't involve actually holding a camera. As I continued to work, my friend Steve called and said that I needed to go photograph the landscape he had just passed while driving along interstate 80. He described to me a winter wonderland created by a weather phenomenon known as hoarfrost.


           
       Hoarfrost forms when water vapor freezes on objects without first becoming liquid water. In order for this to happen the humidity must be high and the air temperature and the temperature of the landscape must be below freezing. The frost that forms creates a magical winter scene that doesn't last very long. It's very beautiful. But it is especially beautiful in a snow-covered landscape. The frost is very delicate because of its high air content.  It vanishes quickly in the sun or wind. The photographer who wants to capture its magic must act fast. Therefore, I left my office work to capture this short-lived splendor of God's hand.


           
       Photographing scenes like this reminds me that many opportunities in life pass away quickly. We cannot possibly take advantage of everything that comes our way, but still we must live every day for God. The Bible tells us that our lives are short (Psalm 39:4-5) and we need to make the most of every opportunity (Ephesians 5:15–16). Photographing hoarfrost is a reminder that we need to honor God with how we use our time. We all must ask the question, “How will I use the time that is given to me?”


2 comments: